Saturday, February 20, 2010

...and playing with Google Maps

This post is the blogging equivalent of killing two birds with one stone...I am completing the another task under the Category of "Expand your Knowledge for the Geneabloggers Winter Games
but I am also participating in Week 7 of "52 weeks to better Genealogy."

I had played with the Google Maps functionality previously but nothing serious.  For purposes of this post, I decided to look up my childhood home in Orcutt California.  My parents bought a house located at 730 Union in Orcutt, California when I was 5 years old.  One of the things I like about Google Maps is the street view.  In this case, when I typed in "730 Union Street, Orcutt, California" and then went to the street view, this is what I saw:





 See that yellow house...that's the one.  For some reason Google Maps centered on the alley behind the house, but that was my backyard growing up.    Of course when we lived there the house was brown, with darker brow trim. 

I was trying to find out how to get a view of the front of the house.   I tried to follow the arrows and zoom around the block. 

I got a nice picture of the side view of Woody's house.  Growing up Woody and his wife in their mid 40's to 50's, and Woody's passion was rocks.  Collecting, polishing, sorting by color, shape, tumbling, and polishing some more.  This is the view coming out of the alley.  My house is forward and to the left.


This is the front of the house.  Remember it used to be Brown, not yellow.  Although now that I remember, my bedroom walls were yellow.  When I was a growing up the concrete with the basketball hoop on it was all lush green grass and there were no palm trees.




I was getting frustrated that every time I wanted to restart the map view again, it kept dropping me to the first view in the alley, and then I had to navigate  back to the front of the house. 

I discovered that you can view a split image in the maps, so that you see a street view and the map view at the same time.  Once you have access to the map again, you can drag the little person Icon to the correct location.  In this case, if you look at the bottom of the map view, the alley is at the bottom of the screen.  Originally the person icon was in the alley way at the bottom of the map view.  I drug the person icon to the correct location at and was able to "jump" from the alley to the front of the house in one move.




  Pretty nifty, no?  I thought so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment