Sunday, April 24, 2011

...and adding my $.02 to Making Money by way of the Gene Pool

Thomas MacEntee has sure stirred up a hornet's nest this week with his series Genea-Opportunities (Let's make lots of money).  And I gotta take my hat off and say "GREAT JOB, THOMAS!!!!" 

I will be the first to admit that I  am regrettably a part time genea-blogger and while I actually am blessed to have a "real day" job that I enjoy going to 5 days a week, I'd rather be making enough money doing what brings me the most satisfaction doing, which is anything genealogy related.  I love taking pictures for Find a Grave, I love helping with indexing for two different organizations, I love finding old pictures and documents, and then trying to research the people in the pictures and documents, I like finding a new family line in my gene pool.  But the reality of MY life is that there just isn't enough time in a day for me to work a 40 hour work week, to bear part of the responsibility of supporting a nine person household, and to do all that I love doing from a genealogical perspective at the level that I'd love to do it.  Something has to give, and most often it is my genealogy. 

I enjoyed reading the entire five day series that Thomas did, but I really had to read his final entry a few times.  As always I was impressed with his astute observations about the aforementioned hornet's net.  I made me realize that there is so much about this community that I still do not know or am not familiar with.  By those who chose to label, I am not a genealogist...I'm a family historian.  Well okay, I actually do not have a problem with that label.  Except that is not all that I am.  I am also a photo collector and a researcher.  I do more work on other projects then I do on my one tree.  And I have more then one tree...I have one for myself and my two girls...then I am working on one for myself and my son (different father and family history then my daughters), and then THAT line has another blood line that my ex didn't grow up with....then there is the one for my youngest daughter that I have no blood relation too. 

The Mind just boggles at the thoughts. 

So it occurs to me...that I am unlabel-el...unable to be labeled.  Yeah that's it.  I defy labels.  Mwahhhhaa.

Thomas, I want to thank you for having the courage to talk about the one of the big Three things you don't talk about.  This was an OUTSTANDING!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post. It is one of the issues that people want to put labels which have the effect of putting someone into a box. We don't fit into boxes. Each researcher after a time gains extra abilities which may be as a local historian, gaining extra skills in a special record set. In my experience few just research their own families.For me I am a family historian, local historian, medical history speaker, author, indexer, researcher for other people, speaker, blogger and hopefully many other paths to come.

    ReplyDelete